This side dish recipe is made with Spam, Korean-style flat fish cakes, and onions. It is so incredibly easy to make and a delicious side to go with your meal.
We love this incredibly quick and easy side dish recipe that is also so tasty! It takes no time at all to whip up. Once everything is sliced and ready to go, it takes about 11 minutes to make. It is naturally salty from the Spam slices and the fish cakes so the umami flavor profile of this dish is amazing considering how easy it is to make.
Key features and tips
We chose to go simple and use onions. However, you could really add in other vegetables if you prefer. Bell peppers would be a delicious addition that also keeps it mild in spice. If you really want to kick up the spice then add in some sliced jalapeños! Yummy!
Ingredients needed for this side dish recipe
For the stir-fry sauce:
How to make our Spam & Fish Cakes (Odeng) Stir fry recipe
Step 1: Prep the stir-fry sauce
Prepare the stir-fry sauce and mix all of the ingredients together well in a small bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Let’s start stir-frying
Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Add a bit of oil to the pan to coat the bottom. Add in the sliced onion, and stir fry for about 5 minutes.
Next, add the fish cake slices (odeng) into the frying pan along with the onions. Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes.
Then add the Spam slices to the frying pan, and continue stir-frying everything together for 3-4 minutes.
Step 3: Add the seasoning sauce and green onions
Turn the heat down to low and add in the seasoning sauce and the green onions. Continue mixing everything together well in the pan.
Step 4: Remove from heat and enjoy!
Due to the saltiness from the Spam and fish cakes, we love to eat this side dish with freshly steamed rice. It really balances so nicely with just a simple bowl of freshly steamed rice. This can also be treated as a regular Korean-style side dish as well (banchan) and can go alongside other side dishes to make a complete meal. You could also simply serve this Spam and fish cake (odeng) stir-fry with a protein main dish to keep it low carb.
More side dish recipes to try:
- Korean Stir-Fried Fernbrake Side Dish (Gosari Namul 고사리나물)
- Green Cabbage Kimchi
- Easy Stir-fried Bok Choy
- Korean-style Stir-Fried Eggplant (Gaji Bokkeum)
- Korean-style Fresh Cucumber and Chive Salad
- Korean Stir-fried Spicy Fish Cakes
- 1 can of Spam (cut into thin slices)
- 4 flat pieces of fish cake sheets (odeng, cut into long thin strips)
- 1 large yellow onion (about 1 ½ cups, thin slices)
- 4 green onions (sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
For the stir-fry sauce:
- Prepare the seasoning sauce and mix all of the ingredients together well in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Add a bit of oil to the pan to coat the bottom. Add in the sliced onion, and stir fry for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the fish cake slices (odeng) into the frying pan along with the onions. Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the Spam slices to the frying pan, and continue stir-frying everything together for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the seasoning sauce and the green onions. Continue mixing everything together well in the pan.
- Remove from heat. Enjoy!
We love seeing your creations from our recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @AsianRecipesAtHome.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances shall this website and the author(s) be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the reliance of the given nutritional information or ingredient/product recommendations. Recommended ingredients/products can change their formula at any time without this website and author’s awareness. It is your responsibility (the reader’s) to check the label/ingredients of any product prior to purchasing and/or using. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.