Make our easy Korean spicy rice cakes (tteokbeoki) recipe. Korean spicy rice cakes (tteokbeoki) is a very popular street food in Korea. This is the perfect spicy appetizer or snack.
Our family just loves this recipe. It is so easy to make. This recipe also has a lot of great elements, such as the spiciness, chewy texture, and the umami-rich sauce. Our recipe is made of rice cakes, fish cakes, gochujang, Dasida beef flavor soup stock and a few other common ingredients that are probably in your pantry already.
How Korean rice cakes (tteok) were made a long time ago
Before rice cakes were made automatically in machines and readily packaged at grocery stores, my mom remembers taking soaked rice to the rice cake (tteok) processing house where they had machines to specifically make fresh rice cakes (tteok). Tteokbeoki was traditionally made with leftover pieces from the rice cakes used to make Korean Rice Cake Soup (tteokguk).
My mom remembers her dad preparing their rice to take to the rice cake making shop. He would soak the rice overnight and rinse the rice well. Then the next day, mom remembers them taking the rice to a rice cake (tteok) processing house. The owners of the rice cake (tteok) house would usually help their customers with the rice cake making process. Mom remembers seeing her freshly made rice cake come out of the machine, they would then cut the fresh rice cake (tteok) from the machine, let it drop in a bucket of cold water, and then finally package it up and take it home to cook in their recipes. How cool?! After making Korean Rice Cake Soup (tteokguk) from nicely sliced and fresh rice cake, they would cut up the leftover rice cake into pieces to make Korean Spicy Rice Cake (tteokbeoki).
Rice cakes made for tteokbeoki today are easily found in Asian markets in the frozen aisle ready for you to thaw and use. There are also many different sizes and shapes of rice cakes available today.
Rice cakes are used in many different Korean recipes
There are many different Korean recipes that utilize rice cakes. Here are some other dishes that use rice cakes:
- Non-spicy rice cakes (tteokbeoki) made with soy sauce (check out our recipe here)
- Korean rice cake soup (tteokguk) (check out one of our recipes here)
- A lot of Koreans also like to put rice cakes into their ramen (we added it to our instant ramen hack recipe)
We hope you enjoy our Korean Spicy Rice Cakes (Tteokbeoki) recipe!
Need more spicy recipes to try?
- Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad
- Korean Spicy Poke Salad (Sallet) Side Dish (Muchim)
- Spicy Korean Pork Belly and Squid Stir Fry
- Korean Cold Noodles with Spicy Sweet and Sour Gochujang Sauce
- 2 cups cylinder-shaped rice cakes (tteok)
- 1 sheet of fish cake (about 5 ounces)
- 2 green onions
- 1 Tbsp hot red chili pepper paste (gochujang)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Dasida beef flavor soup stock powder
- ¼ tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Rinse the rice cakes and drain well.
- Put a medium-sized pan onto medium-high heat. Add in olive oil and the rice cakes, stir well and cook until the rice cakes get soft (about 6-8 minutes). Add about a tablespoon of water at a time, so the rice cakes don’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add the fish cake pieces and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the frying pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Continue adding a tablespoon of water at a time to ensure nothing burns to the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Enjoy!
We love seeing your creations from our recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @AsianRecipesAtHome.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances shall this website and the author(s) be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the reliance of the given nutritional information or ingredient/product recommendations. Recommended ingredients/products can change their formula at any time without this website and author’s awareness. It is your responsibility (the reader’s) to check the label/ingredients of any product prior to purchasing and/or using. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.