This Korean seasoned spinach side dish (sigeumchi-namul) recipe is made of blanched spinach, green onions, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, minced garlic, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper.
Traditionally, Koreans typically love to have many different side dishes (banchan) with their meals. This seasoned spinach recipe is one of the more popular side dishes that you are most likely to see during an everyday Korean meal. This side dish will also be made for any special occasions or family gatherings.
This recipe is so easy to make and is loaded with nutrients. Fun fact…did you know that eating spinach can help with diabetes management? According to an article by Medical News Today, “Spinach contains an antioxidant known as alpha-lipoic acid, which has been shown to lower glucose levels, increase insulin sensitivity, and prevent oxidative, stress-induced changes in patients with diabetes.”
Spinach is also great for lowering high blood pressure. Medical News Today also states, “Due to its high potassium content, spinach is recommended for people with high blood pressure. Potassium can help reduce the effects of sodium in the body. A low potassium intake might be as potent a risk factor for developing high blood pressure as a high sodium intake.”
Ingredients needed to make this spinach side dish
- 1 lb spinach, cleaned and washed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stem of green onion, thinly sliced
How to make this popular Korean side dish recipe
Step 1: Blanch the spinach
First, we’re going to blanch the spinach. Add water to the pot and bring water to boil.
Once the water starts boiling, add a pinch of salt and then add the spinach to the pot. Boil/blanch the spinach for about 1 minute.
Remove spinach and rinse with cold water and gently squeeze the spinach to remove as much excess water as possible.
Step 2: Cut blanched spinach and green onions
Cut spinach into about 1-inch length pieces.
Cut green onions lengthwise as thinly as possible.
Step 3: Combine all ingredients together and enjoy!
Combine minced garlic, salt, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, green onion, and spinach into a bowl and mix well. That’s it! Serve and enjoy!
So, go and grab some fresh spinach and make this popular Korean side dish today. We hope you enjoy this Korean Seasoned Spinach Side Dish Recipe recipe!
Need more side dish recipes?
- Easy Asian Pan-Fried Zucchini
- Green Cabbage Kimchi
- Easy Stir-fried Bok Choy
- Korean Marinated Wild Chives (Dallae-muchim)
- Easy Napa Cabbage Korean Kimchi – Cut-Up Kimchi
- Korean Stir-fried Fish Cake (Eomuk Bokkeum or Odeng Bokkeum)
- First, we’re going to blanch the spinach. Add water to the pot and bring water to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, add a pinch of salt and then add the spinach to the pot. Boil/blanch the spinach for about 1 minute.
- Remove spinach and rinse with cold water and gently squeeze the spinach to remove as much excess water as possible.
- Cut spinach into about 1-inch length pieces.
- Cut green onions lengthwise as thinly as possible.
- Combine minced garlic, salt, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, green onion, and spinach into a bowl and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
We love seeing your creations from our recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @AsianRecipesAtHome.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances shall this website and the author(s) be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the reliance of the given nutritional information or ingredient/product recommendations. Recommended ingredients/products can change their formula at any time without this website and author’s awareness. It is your responsibility (the reader’s) to check the label/ingredients of any product prior to purchasing and/or using. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.