The base of this Korean warm noodle soup recipe is the delicious homemade umami-filled clear soup stock. Top this bowl of noodles with vegetables, crumbled roasted nori sheets (gim), and sliced fish cake and you have yourself a fabulously healthy, savory, and light meal. This is a simple meal that is a popular comfort food in Korea!
Homemade soup stock
This homemade soup stock is made with only four ingredients:
- Korean-Style Soup Soy Sauce
- Dasida powdered soup stock
It may sound like a lot of work to make your own soup stock, but it’s really simple. Once you have the ingredients on hand, it’s only a matter of adding the ingredients to boil for a few minutes in water.
Customize your noodle soup bowl
One of the best things about this recipe is the fact that you can alter this Korean warm noodle soup recipe to your liking. If you don’t like eggs or can’t eat eggs due to health reasons, simply leave the egg out and this recipe will still be delicious. The eggs just give the soup an extra element of protein and texture that we just love. We also recommend adding one of our sauces on top of your finished bowl of noodles. It gives it an extra depth of flavor that is delicious! Try our mild Sesame Green Onion (scallion) sauce, or if you want a spicy kick then try our Korean-Style Spicy Sauce recipe.
There are also many different types of toppings you could put on top of your Korean warm noodle soup bowl. Today, we’re sharing this recipe with our own personal favorite toppings, however, feel free to experiment yourself. Some other ingredients you could use:
- Shittake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- Kimchi, sliced thinly and lightly stir-fried in some sesame oil
- Tofu, cubed
We hope you enjoy this Korean warm noodle soup recipe!
- 4 servings white noodles
- 4 large-sized dried anchovies
- 2 two-inch square pieces of Kombu seaweed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Korean-style Soup Soy Sauce (gukganjang)
- 1 cup pickling cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 green onion, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large egg
- 5 cups water
- 2 roasted/seasoned seaweed sheets (gim)
- 1 tsp Dasida beef flavor soup stock
- 2 pieces of Fish cake (odeng)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
Sauce options (optional):
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside for later.
- Put water, dried anchovies, kombu seaweed, and salt in a medium/large-sized pot and put it on high heat. Once the broth comes to a boil, remove the anchovies and kombu seaweed and discard them. Add the soy sauce and continue boiling the broth.
- Rinse the fish cake with hot water. Slice the fish cake on the diagonal into about a half-inch thick pieces. Place the sliced fish cake into the boiling broth.
- Next, lightly drizzle the raw scrambled egg into the boiling broth. This will create an egg drop type of soup for the noodles. Once the egg is cooked, turn the stove to low heat and allow the broth to simmer.
- Place the green onion and Dasida beef flavor soup stock into the broth, and continue to let the broth simmer.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Once noodles are cooked, rinse the noodles with cold water. Turn off the heat for the broth at this point.
- To serve, place a serving of noodles into a bowl and pour the hot broth on top of it. Place a serving of cucumbers, carrots, and crumble half a sheet of roasted/seasoned seaweed (gim) on top. Make sure you have a few pieces of fish cake in each bowl.
- If you would like extra spice and flavor, try one of our sauce recipes to drizzle on top of your noodles. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!
We love seeing your creations from our recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @AsianRecipesAtHome.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances shall this website and the author(s) be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the reliance of the given nutritional information or ingredient/product recommendations. Recommended ingredients/products can change their formula at any time without this website and author’s awareness. It is your responsibility (the reader’s) to check the label/ingredients of any product prior to purchasing and/or using. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.