Korean radish is stir-fried and steamed to create this easy, healthy, and delicious side dish (banchan)! Pair this with freshly steamed rice, or have it alongside a main protein.
Our easy stir-fried Korean radish recipe
The Korean term “namul” typically refers to a seasoned vegetable side dish. Mu namul is a dish made with “mu” (or moo), a Korean radish. Stir-frying and steaming are traditional cooking methods for this side dish. The julienned radish is first stir-fried in a small amount of oil, then covered and steamed over low heat. The final result is a delicately flavored and naturally sweet vegetable dish.
Ingredients needed to make this radish side dish
- Korean radish
- Sesame oil
- Avocado oil
- Fish sauce
- Green onion (optional, garnish)
- Small red chili pepper (optional, garnish)
What to serve with stir-fried Korean radish banchan
Serve this radish side dish with a side of freshly steamed rice. You can even add this radish to a bowl of rice, add a bit of gochujang on top and serve it with a sunny side egg on top (like bibimbap). So yummy and nutritious!
Where to find Korean radish? Or grow them in your garden!
Look for Korean radishes at your local Asian/Korean grocery stores. You can find them at any time of year since it is a staple ingredient in a lot of Korean cooking, for example, it is used in kimchi.
If you don’t have access to a local grocery store that carries this radish, then consider trying to grow them yourself in your garden! Here are some seeds we found online.
More Korean radish recipes to try
Protein dishes to try with this radish side dish
- Kimchi Sauce Chicken Stir-Fry
- Best and Easiest Beef Bulgogi
- Best Korean BBQ Short Ribs (LA Galbi Gui)
- Korean Spicy Stir-fried Pork Belly
- 2 cups Korean radish, julienned
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mushroom umami powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional, garnish)
- 1 small red chili pepper, thinly sliced (optional, garnish)
- Place a pan (one with a lid), on medium-high heat. Add in the sesame oil and avocado oil.
- Add the julienned radish to the pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and all other seasonings (except roasted sesame seeds). Mix everything together well. Turn the heat down to simmer. Place the lid on the pan and leave it cracked. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it and adjust the time a bit to your liking if you like the radish with a harder or softer texture. We like the radish to be tender and on the softer side.
- Remove from heat and add roasted sesame seeds on top. Add thinly sliced green onion and red chili pepper (if desired/optional). Serve and enjoy!
We love seeing your creations from our recipes! Tag us on Instagram at @AsianRecipesAtHome.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances shall this website and the author(s) be responsible for any loss or damages resulting from the reliance of the given nutritional information or ingredient/product recommendations. Recommended ingredients/products can change their formula at any time without this website and author’s awareness. It is your responsibility (the reader’s) to check the label/ingredients of any product prior to purchasing and/or using. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.